Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- Because we love tormenting fans (and ourselves, let’s be honest), check out this post from Irene Gallo of Tor.com, who went behind the scenes to watch A Memory of Light being printed at the bindery. Also: Tor.com is having a NYC midnight launch for the final Wheel of Time book!
- Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit comes out today! Over on io9, there’s a fun list of 12 things you probably didn’t know about the epic new movie.
- Looking for new reading material for the holidays? Tor.com has you covered. They’ve invited some of their regular reviews to share their favorite reads of 2012. The result is an eclectic list of books sure to please almost any genre fan.
- A well deserved award: SFWA has named Gene Wolfe the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award Winner for 2012. If you want to check out some of the award-winning author’s earlier works, we’ve just announced 19 of his backlist titles are now available as ebooks.
- Tor.com has launched a new series: Talking with Tom. In this initial conversation, the legendary founder of Tor chats with L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
- In November, science fiction author Frederik Pohl made a rare appearance at Windycon, where he did an interview with ChicagoScope.
- Finally, io9 has their impressions of the first nine minutes of Star Trek: Into Darkness. Is anyone else ridiculously excited for this movie? I know I am, but I’m a bit of a Trekker, so…
The Tor/Forge newsletter went out this week! Check out these fascinating articles from our authors:
- The Toughest Part of Writing Cold City by F. Paul Wilson
- A Letter from Harry Ransom by Felix Gilman
- Crying Bully by J. A. Souders
- What if? Two little words that created S. J. Day’s Eve of Darkess by Sylvia Day
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Newsletter Sweepstakes: Big Fat Books for the Holidays (Ends 12/16)
- Goodreads First Reads: Impulse by Steven Gould (Ends 12/18)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Sixth Station by Linda Stasi (Ends 12/19)
- eBook Sale: People of the Earth by Kathleen O’Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 1/2)
- eBook Sale: Count to a Trillion by John C. Wright is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 1/2)
- eBook Sale: Larry Bond’s Red Dragon Rising: Edge of War by Larry Bond and Jim DeFelice is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 1/2)
- eBook Sale: Imager by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 1/2)
- Goodreads First Reads: Homeland by Cory Doctorow (Ends 1/9)
- Goodreads First Reads: Kalimpura by Jay Lake (Ends 1/9)
- Goodreads First Reads: A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (Ends 1/9)